Friday, December 08, 2006

Movie Night

We went to see The Nativity Story last night. Had an absolutely delightful time with friends. This was the first time hubby and I had been to the theatres since Jonah Veggie Tales was released. I found last night's venture to be a worthwhile time!

I was struck by the long journey they made from Nazareth to Bethlehem at the height of Mary's pregnancy. What a purifying and refining time that would have been for both of them. I was reminded of Romans 5:3-4 "...we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. "

The movie was also pleasantly surprising in it interpretation of the scriptural account of Christ's birth. Of course, there were artistic choices made to help us imagine the incarnation, but I found they were bearable, at times even imaginable (eg. Joseph's comment to Mary, "will I actually teach Him anything?")

More than anything, I found I was left sitting at the end of the movie wanting it to continue. My mind went on a mental journey to the cross, and ultimately it made me long for the 2nd coming of my King.

I've been contemplating Christ's return whilst decorating my home for Christmas this past week, as well.

We have a long railing that spans our front entrance area, and while putting up garland the other day, I was dreaming in my heart that I was hanging out bunting to welcome my King to my home. I was even pondering a way to hang a banner of sorts with the words King of Kings.

Wouldn't that be wonderful... our Savior and King returning for His bride. Come Lord Jesus... quickly... come!!

1 comment:

Homemanager said...

Blessed Lord's Day to You!
It is so good to hear your thoughts and encouragements, Marlene. I'm very glad that you are able to come back and post!

I have heard a number of positive things about that movie. I hope that we will get to see it ourselves.

Looking forward to hearing your latest meditations, dear friend.

Karen