Sunday, August 15, 2010

What Do Your Walls Say?

Just came upon Fruitful Vine Creations which provides lettering to adorn your walls at home. I've often wondered about putting up all the pictures of my beloved and beautiful babes.... questioning whether or not it is breeding vanity or self-centeredness, but not taken them down yet. I've also wondered about photos of God's creation, as a breaking of the 2nd commandment. I know the Amish are very clear about what they put on their walls - nothing but the word of God. Apparently my great-grandmother had the same convictions, though her daughter (my dear Oma) did not continue to hold such thoughts, as she loved decorative items, particularly lovely plates.

I guess I have a few questions to be sorted out in my head still.
1. Is it wrong to place anything on our walls that could take our eyes off the centerpiece of our minds - the Lord Himself??
2. What would be helpful to place on our walls, as even the Old Testament talks about "writing on doorposts"?

Well, just some ponderings. I welcome your comments and insights and wrestlings with such a topic.


1 comment:

D J E and M Huber said...

"You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I The Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate Me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love Me and keep My Commandments." (Exodus 20:4-6 RSV)

I was always under the impression that the prohibition was against making images that were worshiped. In fact, of course, there were images of created things in the Tabernacle and Temple (cherubim, pomagranates, oxen, etc.). So, the making and viewing of images is not prohibited, but the worship of them definitely is.

This can, of course, be the worship of images representing false gods, or even the worship of images representing Jehovah.

Ancient Jewish art also depicted created things, as has Christian art through the centuries. So, I suspect that the long-term interpretation of that commandment has been similar to what I just wrote above.

Of course, that means that any individual needs to assess what any image (or any potential idol, image or not) is in their lives.

...and, of course, it can't hurt to have more reminders of Scripture in our lives.

Nice to see your blog posts again!

-DH