Monday, June 26, 2006

The Way We Were

This was a chart we received in Sunday School last week, and I found it to be a great help. To prevent the self-righteousness as was evident in the Pharisees of Christ's day, a good hard look at "the way we were" before Christ is imperative... possibly daily. I thought I'd post this chart, because I want to print it out and glue it in my Bible to stimulate such introspection in my own heart more often. Why? Because it causes me to be more grateful for what Jesus accomplished when He breathed His last and said, "It is finished". The following is some of what was finished by His pure life and sacrificial death:

THE WAY WE WERE:
  • Far Off (Eph.2:13)
  • Old Self Corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit (Eph.4:22-24)
  • Darkness (Eph.5:8)
  • Fornicators, Idolaters, Adulterers, Effeminate, Homosexuals, Thieves, Covetous, Drunkards, Revilers, Swindlers: "such were some of you" (see 1 Cor.6:9-11)
  • Lustful - sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, etc. (see 1 Peter 4:2-3)
  • Domain of Darkness (Col.1:13)
  • Alienated, Hostile in Mind, Engaged in Evil Deeds (Col.1:21-22)
  • Dead in Transgressions with a 'certificate of debt' (Col.2:13-14)
  • Immoral, Impure, Passionate, Evil, Greedy, Idolatrous, Angry, offering wrath, malice, slander and abusive speech from our mouths (Col.3:5-9)

WITH CHRIST, WE ARE:

  • Brought Near (Eph.2:13)
  • New Man... in righteousness and holiness (Eph.4:22-24)
  • Light (Eph.5:8 and Matt. 5:14)
  • Washed, Sanctified, Justified (1 Cor.6:9-11)
  • No Longer "Lusty" (1 Peter 4:2-3)
  • Delivered From Darkness (Col.1:13 "conveyed into the kingdom of light")
  • Reconciled, Holy, Blameless and Above Reproach (Col.1:21-22)
  • Made Alive... forgiven of all trespasses (Col.2:13-14)
  • Putting Off: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language, lies (Col.3:5-9)

I find the pictured opposites astounding... especially the opposites of Colosssians 1:21-22.... to think that we are seen as holy, blameless, and above reproach. This allows us to say with the psalmist,

The LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness; According to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me. For I have kept the ways of the LORD, And have not wickedly departed from my God. For all His ordinances were before me, And I did not put away His statutes from me. I was also blameless with Him, And I kept myself from my iniquity. Therefore the LORD has recompensed me according to my righteousness, According to the cleanness of my hands in His eyes.

With the kind Thou dost show Thyself kind;

With the blameless Thou dost show Thyself blameless;

With the pure Thou dost show Thyself pure;

And with the crooked Thou dost show Thyself astute.

For Thou dost save an afflicted people; But haughty eyes Thou dost abase. For Thou dost light my lamp; The LORD my God illumines my darkness. (Psalm 18)

No comments: