Monday, January 08, 2007

Fight for Joy

If any of you have not yet encountered John Piper's When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy... hmmm... hmm....

It's not inspired writing, like the Bible, and therefore not life-giving... BUT may I suggest it is a way to magnify God in your life. John's perspective of our daily battle for the "joy of our salvation" is proving to be helpful to me.

My primary desire for the coming year is to grow in Joy... in God (as Piper continually reminds us). Joy in anything less is truly a placebo. Though my family is wonderful... nothing can grant true joy like God.

If you've been feeling a little ho-hum in your desire for God, may I first suggest a heavy dose of Him by diving into His Word and by spending time walking with Him. And if you've got time for a little extra reading, might I suggest Piper's story about His increasing desire for God and the Joy that comes from Him!!

No comments: