There are lots of different brocolli salad recipes, but I suggest you try this one and see if it's not the best one out there.
This recipe belonged to a lady in the church I went to while in university. She was one of those ladies that "guarded her recipes". You know the type. But I was grateful that, with a little encouragement (and possibly flattery, I hate to admit), she succumbed to my earnest pleas for her prized recipe. Thanks to her, we have enjoyed many a bowl of brocolli in our home, and generally my husband will prefer this salad to any dessert I may have made - which is the highest of praise considering the main ingredient is a green vegetable.
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 cup mayo
4 cups brocolli
1/2 cups golden raisins
6 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup toasted almonds
1 can mandarins
1/2 medium red onion
(can also use grapes, if you like... instead or with the mandarins)
1) In top of double-boiler, whisk together eggs, sugar, cornstarch and mustard.
2) Combine vinegar and water - slowly whisk into egg mixture.
3) Place over hot water and cook, stirring occassionally, until mixture thickens.
4) Remove from heat; stir in butter and may. Chill
5) Toss dressing with remaining ingredients in serving bowl. Serve.