Wednesday, March 01, 2006

God Save The Queen

As part of our schooling today, we sang, "God Save The Queen". It's interesting how words can mean many different things. I was explaining the definition of the word "save" to my son. Looking at the dictionary, it means, " to rescue or deliver from danger or harm and to preserve or guard from injury, destruction, or loss". My 5 year-old smiled and responded, "Oh, I thought it meant save... like you and daddy talk about people being 'saved'... like a Christian."

That stopped me. Yes, that would fit into this song too. It could be a prayer for their spiritual destiny. That's what I should be praying for my queen and my prime minister and other God-ordained authorities over me, and yet I so often fail to include them on my prayer list.

This was a good reminder to pray for the salvation and sanctification of my rulers. For those of you that are unfamiliar with the lyrics of the anthem, this is the first verse:

God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.

4 comments:

Kim said...

What an astute little boy you have there!

Dan S. said...

Say "hi" to your (our) 5 year old son, and to your (our) about-to-be 3 year old son - from the Potato in California. For updates on what thier father is up to, see Challies web site.

martha_martha said...

hmmm... hadn't thought of that song that way before. Sometimes we need our kids to remind us of the simple truths we don't see anymore!

sharon said...

When I was little I thought that to, so singing that has always been sort of a prayer. Unfortunately I don't sing it often enough, thanks for the reminder that we need to pray for our country's leaders.