Monday, January 16, 2006

Days Of Our Great-Grandmothers


I have this photograph of my grandfather's mother, Margarete Weinert, in my bathroom, on the vanity. Many days I don't notice it. Some days I do. Often it makes me thankful for the days we live in.

So many women in the past have had hard lives. They had to get up very early to a cold house. Simple everyday tasks involved a great deal of effort, such as laundry, cooking, clothing the household, etc. I don't think I cherish my many "machines" enough.

Other benefits to being a woman nowadays include the ability to read, to vote, to contribute in intellectual arenas that were previously dominated by men. That first one, the ability to read, is a learned ability that I too often take for granted. How much more closed and isolated my life would be without the many words that enrich it. Most seriously, how desperately difficult (I think) my life would be without God's word to be read and studied.

Reading has opened up my life to great responsibility though. Do I really cherish this "gift"? Do I absorb God's gems as a sponge absorbs water, or am I like a freshly waxed car, on which the "water" simply beads off?

I pray that I would treasure God's word. Not simply as the treasure it is, but by pondering it after I read it and by letting it change me.
Psalm 119:103
How sweet are Your words to my taste,
Sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Thank you God for granting me the privilege of reading. Thank you for your word, which I can read. Thank you for the Spirit which changes me because of what I read.

4 comments:

Homemanager said...

Hello HomeMaker,
After reading your post, I thought you might like a book that I was just introduced to. I had the priviledge to meet its Author this past saturday and here her heart.
The book is "His Word in my Heart" by Janet Pope.
She has memorized 100 chapters of scripture! I have memorized 3 and I thought I was doing well. :o)
Anyway, she talks about the combined benefits of memorizing and meditating on the word. Very good!
"...his delight is in the law of the Lord and on his law he meditates on the word day and night. He will be a tree planted by rivers of water...."
Psalm 1
God Bless!

Marlene S. said...

Sounds like a great book. I was just speaking with a friend on sunday about scripture memory. She gave me some passages to start with. But I would love some suggestions or tips on how to make it easier. Maybe this book is the one for me.
Thanks.

Homemanager said...

Hi Marlene,
She is recommending starting with Psalm 1 because it only has 6 verses.
I think I will write something more on my blog, otherwise, I will write you a book here. :o)
I can say that her heart is to glorify the Lord and not to just be the "Bible answer Woman".
The thing that impressed me was that she was a very joyful woman...a benefit I want!

Kelly said...

amen!