Sunday, January 15, 2006

Warm Breakfast On A Frosty Morning


This morning we awoke to a beautiful white blanket of snow on the ground. My husband, native to Winnipeg, Manitoba, had a hop in his step. This joyfulness in demeanour usually fades once the mercury climbs above 0 degree. Of course, his first plan of action was to head outdoors at 7 am and shovel the driveway. We had 20 people coming for lunch, so I was glad he was considering their safety on our property.

About half an hour later, my eldest son awoke and came rushing downstairs, asking the usual, "where's dad?", to which I suggested he look outside. "Can I go help him, mom?" was the next request, which I was happy to oblige, since I had some last minute tidying to do in the kitchen. Next came my two year-old. He too wanted to go outside, so I quickly bundled him up and ushered him out the door.

Since it was Sunday morning, and hubby needs to be at church pretty early, I started on breakfast right away. I made one of my "warm breakfast recipes". It's something my mom and oma have made for years, and it's a nice alternative to oatmeal. The boys were hungry and happy to eat it this morning, although we had to eat it in a bigger hurry than usual. Here are the instructions:

Milch Rice

Essentially the recipe is simply rice, cooked in milk instead of water.
Then once it's finished cooking (be careful not to burn the milk :) ), add your choice of toppings: applesauce, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, raisins, nuts, etc. I used brown rice this morning, which makes it a little more "wholesome", but white rice is what my mom always used.
It's a pretty simple dish, but "hits the spot" and is quite filling.

Happy breakfasting!

4 comments:

Kim from Hiraeth said...

That sounds delicious!

I love warm rice. Is there a secret to keeping the milk at the right temperature for the 20 minutes that it'll need to cook, or should I just stand nearby and watch?

Marlene S. said...

I stick around until it reaches a "boil", then I turn it down to simmer, cover it (with my steam vent open), and cook it until it's done. I usually check it a little earlier than if I'm cooking with water, just to make sure I don't over-cook it. Hope this helps.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

It does! I'll give it a go tomorrow morning!

Blessings!

Kim from Hiraeth said...

I made mine with chopped pecans and dried cranberries. Delish! I felt like I was having dessert for breakfast.