Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Power of a Praying Wife


Yes, this post is referring to that popular book from a few years ago.

Can I just start by saying that title bothers me.

I, as a praying wife, do not have power. At least, I hope not. Oh yes, sometimes I wish I had power, but that is usually my sinful nature wanting to take control of my life rather than leaving my life in my Father's hands.

"The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (James 5:16) The prayer is powerful, not the pray-er, that is, not the one who is praying.

So where does this power come from? From the one that we are praying to... God Himself.

Psalm 147:5 says, "Great is our Lord and mighty in power; His understanding has no limit."

2 Corinthians 12:9 is also a good reminder, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

And then we can look at Ephesians 6:10, "Be strong in the Lord, and in His mighty power."

We do not have power but we know the one that is all-powerful, omnipotant. Let us remember that our prayers can move mountains, but only with God's power.

Having said all this, I am revisiting Stormie Omartian's book right now. Despite the title, it has some good thoughts on how to "stand beside our man" by praying for him. This is one of our chief jobs as wives. We are to be helpmates to our men, and as such, our source of greatest help comes in God. Let us pledge again to be faithful in supporting our husbands in prayer. We all know they need it :)

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I am not a wife, yet. But reading your blog made me think of two wives whom I cherish and I immediately sent them a link to your blog. I love spiritually benefiting from your wisdom and have missed gaining from your opinions/thoughts on things while I'm away at University. I am grateful for technology, which allows me to continue to learn from those who have things to share.

Homemanager said...

Marlene, such a good distinction. Many brethren that I know, don't see that difference...It is all about Him.