Monday, January 30, 2006

Let The Sun Shine In

My mom loves sparkling windows. I actually didn't realize this growing up. She did wash the windows of our house, but I don't think I noticed how frequently she did this. Nor did I perceive the joy she had from looking out her dazzling kitchen window at the beautiful maple tree outside.

When my husband and I were first married, we were living in Edmonton, miles away from my home in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario. (For readers south of the border, that's like Niagara Falls to Montana). Anyway, my parents came for a visit - their first in our new "home" (it was a condo.) They were excited about our new place and we enjoyed their visit very much. Of course, I had been sure to make everything spotless, cleaning the stove, the toaster, the mirrors, etc. until everything shone. However, I didn't even think to clean my windows.

Well my mom was there about 2 hours, when I noticed her cleaning the window on our front screen door. "Mom, what are you doing?" was my question. To which she calmly replied, "Just cleaning the window. It was a little dirty."

A little dirty. I have to admit, I don't think I had cleaned it since we had moved in. It had never occurred to me. Well, since then, I too have come to enjoy clean windows, although I have a lot to clean in our present house and they aren't always as gleaming as I would prefer.

To achieve sparkling windows, I have come across some great tips that work well for me. First, I use 2 tablespoons of corn starch in a bucket of hot, hot, water. (As hot as I can bear. When the water starts getting cool, I change the water and prepare a fresh batch of starch water.) Then I use a window washing "system" from Lee Valley tools. It includes an extendable pole (great for the 2nd-story windows), a sponge tip, and a squeegie tip. This system, combined with the hot starch water make washing the windows quick and relatively painless.

I now also enjoy the view out my kitchen window, though my tree is a Hawthorne tree. It's really a small thing, but somehow I enjoy the sunshine just a little more when it sparkles on my windows.

3 comments:

Yummy Mommy said...

Hi Marlene,
I am glad to see someone who actually states "cleaning" as one of her hobbies/interests. I love a clean home! It is important to me to care for the spiritual and material gifts God has entrusted to me. I enjoy your blogspot. Thanks!
Jen Pinch, aka. yummymommy, as Darren lovingly refers to me ;)

Sarah Fullerton said...

Thanks for the tip about using starch water... part of our "health make-over" also includes finding inexpensive ways to clean without any unnecessary (and expensive) chemicals, so I'm looking for good homemade cleaners (if you know of any more, please share!). And hopefully I'll have a chance to post more food stuff soon!

Homemanager said...

Marlene,
Your post made me think of how I recently cleaned all of the globes for our kerosene lamps. We have had 3 blackouts (short ones)already this season, so the kerosene lamps are very welcome.
Once they are clean, not only do they sparkle, but the light is so much "cheerier" and warm. Thanks for giving me something "warm" to think about. :o)